WHO WE ARE
Up With Women / Exponenti’elles is a rapidly growing national charity dedicated to helping recently homeless and at-risk women and non-binary folks to build a sustainable pathway out of poverty. Currently serving in 4 provinces (British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec), Up With Women/Exponenti’elles is committed to serving our clients in the official language of their choice, anywhere within our service areas.
We are a team of passionate, innovative professionals, most with lived experience of the intersecting issues of poverty. We are flexible, pro-mom, pro-mental health, pro-human, and we are proud to be building a healthy and fun workplace together.
The Chief of Staff is a unique role designed to support the CEO in the implementation, management and growth key strategic and tactical projects in the areas of operations, programs, communications and HR. As we are a fast-growing organization, the term of this role is finite, lasting between 18 and 24 months, with the aim of having the Chief of Staff take on a departmental senior role within or outside of the organization at the end of the term. As such, this position serves as an excellent leadership springboard for someone who is looking to be a CEO or COO eventually.
HOW WE WORK
Up With Women/Exponenti’elles hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from members of racialized groups, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. We are committed to achieving full accessibility for persons with disabilities by arranging for any necessary accommodation.
We are committed to work-life flexibility and remote work, providing a 35 hour -on average – workweek, birthdays off, and other benefits. Details of your flexible working relationship are to be established between you and your Supervisor.
If you share our passion for gender equity and poverty reduction, and thrive in a collaborative, values-based culture where creativity and innovation are rewarded, please consider applying for this role.
Salary Range: $80,000 – $100,000 based on experience.
WHO YOU ARE
You are a creative, experienced, self-motivated professional who is excited about the opportunity to work and grow in a proven, innovative and entrepreneurial high-impact charity.
(Big hats off to Knix (link) for developing the perfect description for the qualities of a Chief of Staff. Most of this was borrowed from them.)
- You Get’er done! – You have an action bias with supreme execution skills. You pride yourself in getting results and growing capacity.
- You are detail-oriented, strategic, and data-driven – you can work with both quantitative & qualitative data, understanding immediate roadblocks, urgent asks, and long-term initiatives.
- You are independent and self managing – you can learn through osmosis, thrive in a dynamic environment without a lot of guidance, and manage ambiguity and competing priorities while producing optimal results.
- You are an impeccable communicator & have the ability to influence others through your expertise – you are able to use logical and strategic thinking to motivate a diverse organization towards a collective goal with precision. You are concise and to the point.
- You’re adaptable and good at context switching. You’re comfortable to flex between strategy and the nitty-gritty execution. You can comfortably and easily manage multiple projects switching seamlessly between them. You’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get the job done when needed.
- You are an experienced team builder and agile project and people manager. You have the ability to lead a team through the implementation and maintenance of systems and processes for optimal productivity and impact, and you have the skills to coach managers to bring out the best in their teams.
- You are self-motivated and highly accountable. You take pride in your work and always bring your best. You hold yourself accountable and do everything you can to proactively help others do the same.
This opportunity is perfect for you if you are a dedicated, compassionate and hard-working management professional. Your commitment to teamwork, mentorship partnership, collaboration and trauma-informed support will help our team and organization ensure that more women and gender minorities in need are well-served and on a sustainable pathway out of poverty.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As Chief of Staff, you will act as a key support executive for the CEO. You will serve as a director/executive level “business generalist” responsible for improving the productivity and impact of the executive office, operations and programs, as needed. This role requires a high degree of adaptability and collaboration with internal partners to ensure an efficient and effective service delivery and operation for the organization, participants and partners while ensuring global best practices in diversity, equity and inclusion. You will take on an ever-changing portfolio of strategic and tactical responsibilities, allowing the CEO to focus on the most critical parts of the business.
Responsibilities may include activities that fall under the following categories:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the execution of initiatives, policies and procedures delivered within the French and English program delivery and operations teams.
- Work with the program and operation teams to establish, refine and execute on OKRs.
- Work with the business and operations team leads to plan, administer and control logistics, timelines and budgets for initiatives.
- Manage actions escalated by staff members.
- Monitor OKRs, portfolio process, procedure, progress, outcome, output and feedback.
- Oversee a team of managers in English and French, including driving priorities related to the above activities, performing regular check-ins and ensuring that deadlines and priorities are met.
- Advise and train staff members in the development and implementation of quality project and program management.
- Collaborate with the CEO and appropriate teams to assign measurable objectives and responsibilities for tasks and decisions.
- Hire and onboard new staff members and new resources and support other managers in doing the same.
- Establish and maintain relationships with new vendors and outsourced services organizations.
- Manage and support preparation for board meetings and other presentations.
- Develop action plans and execute on them. Provide expertise in response to participant, partner and employee needs, and support and advise the Organization.
- Develop and implement structures fostering an equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace environment.
- Manage funder and vendor contracts, and ensure the organization is in line with agreements and timelines.
- Manage government and other stakeholder relations as needed.
- Risk identification, assessment & mitigation.
- Work with the teams to implement global diversity, equity and inclusion best practices.
- Represent the company both internally and externally.
- Strategize priorities with external stakeholders, third parties and vendors.
- Link: Why You Need Two Chiefs in the Executive Office
- Link: The Case for a Chief of Staff (Harvard Business Review)
WHAT YOU CAN OFFER
- Fluently bilingual in French and English. Any additional language(s) may be considered a plus.
- 7+ years’ experience working in a senior position within an organization with proven, progressive experience and demonstrated effectiveness leading projects and programs at the director/executive level.
- Project, program and change management skills and experience; and related diploma or certification with a demonstrated ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to lead and influence organizational growth exercising stewardship and leadership in charitable and for-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships and interface effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Highly curious with a growth mindset along with the ability to calculate risks
- Operating with a sense of urgency to meet tight deadlines
- The ability to flourish and influence others in a dynamic environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adjust to your audience
- Strong business acumen and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite excel and powerpoint/prezi.
- Sense of humour, purpose or both. This is a tough biz we’re in; purpose and humour gives us our superpowers. 😊
- Strategic planning skills and experience; and related diploma or certification with a demonstrated ability to track progress and keep record across multiple important priorities.
- Equity, diversity and inclusion skills and experience; and related diploma or certification with a demonstrated ability to create and implement sustainability initiatives.
- Strong operational, analytical, communication, interpersonal and presentation competencies.
- Trauma informed and Anti Oppression / Anti-Racist framework brought to the work.
- A passion for social impact.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree relevant to the position will be considered an asset, but not essential (our CEO is a high school drop out). 😊
- A combination of lived experience and non-academic credentials is also valued.
Interested? Please submit your C.V. and covering letter HERE (link) by August 25, 2021. Thank you, in advance, for applying. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted.